Sunday, July 12, 2015

Exiting the Comfort Zone



One hundred and seventy six. According to the 2013 United States Census Bureau, that’s exactly how many people live in my hometown. Its 620 acres of fields, fields and more fields, with the occasional house every blue moon. When I brought the idea of traveling to the cities of London, Paris and Amsterdam for study abroad to my parents you would have thought I told them I was traveling to the moon. While they were hesitant, they knew how much of an opportunity this presented for me and were supportive in this endeavor. After conducting research, reading all that I could read and learning all that I could learn, I packed my bags and set off on a jet plane. While I have been to “bigger” cities such as Chicago, I had no idea what was in store for me. I had never ridden in a taxi, taken any form of public transportation beyond a school bus, been surrounded by so many people at one time, nor had I ever been in such a compact setting. However, regardless of the fact that I was completely out of my element, the minute we landed, the excitement overshadowed any fear or nervousness I had previously experienced.  
The entire experience was an absolute blessing to myself and my future. I would recommend that every person do what they can to experience cultures and countries beyond what they are accustomed to. I have gained knowledge that one cannot achieve within the walls of a classroom. I learned what it meant to be mindful of other cultures and that the best way to really get familiar with a culture is to participate in it. Do not be afraid to step outside your comfort zone and experience new things, talk to the natives and ride the subway. Those were the best ways that I found for me to adapt from what I was used to, to what I was encountering. Taking those first steps towards this experience was one of the best decisions I ever made. Embrace differences and changes because they are what make people, places and life what they are, and what they are is beautiful and enriching.




No comments:

Post a Comment