Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Alfred University's Equine Industry in Ireland: Meet Amelia


By Amelia

As my fellow traveler and blogger Kristen has already done, I would like to welcome you all to this blog! We will be documenting our travels as Alfred University equestrian students visiting the Equine Industry in Ireland.

I am a rising Senior in the School of Art and Design at Alfred University, studying photography, and I am minoring in Equine Studies and Art History.  I have been an active member of the Varsity Hunt Seat IHSA team at Alfred, and I have boarded my own horse at the Equestrian Centre since my Freshman year.  Alfred is a great place to ride because wether you are a serious competitor or just love being around horses, there is a class for you- Western, English, driving, or theory-based care classes.  Before I came to Alfred, I actively rode for my high school and middle school's IEA team, 6-12th grade, so its safe to say I have had quite a bit of saddle time.

With this exciting trip to Ireland comes, of course, an equine academic class.  We spent the first few weeks researching the Equine Industries in not only Ireland and the US, but other countries such as Argentina and the UAE.  The next weeks we rode during class time, the goal being to give more seasoned riders some extra saddle time, the western riders some english saddle time, and the less experienced riders some great instruction.  We all learned some tips on what to expect in Ireland with the horses.  The last week we learned more about Ireland itself, the culture outside of the horse world.

I am really excited to return to Ireland.  I visited three years ago with a few friends from high school.  We spent much of our time in Dublin, Kerry, and Waterford.  We visited castles, beaches, countryside; we learned so much about the culture, enjoyed their food, experienced the wonderful rainbows that frequent the island.  I am looking forward to experience another side of the great country, the Equine Industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment