Friday, January 22, 2016

The Mystery Behind the Stones

By: Lindsey Cach



 
   A mystery for the ages. How did these stones come to be here? Were they moved here by people? Did aliens put them there? You would think that it would be easy to figure out why there is a group of massive stones standing alone in a field, but the truth is, it’s one of the biggest mysteries in history. Researches have spent years trying to explain the story behind Stonehenge, but to this day, no one really knows for sure how or why it was built. It is one of the few things in British culture that remains a mystery.
    As I contemplated whether or not to go on this trip, I decided to look at the itinerary. I scanned through the pages seeing some very interesting places. Then, something caught my eye—Stonehenge. As soon as I saw that this trip would take me to see Stonehenge I knew I must go! A few years ago I took a college course which researched the mysteries behind the stones. Ever since that class, I have been fascinated by Stonehenge and I knew I must go see it for myself.
    On one of the final days in England, our group took our travels to Stonehenge. As we approached the stones, my mind began to race. Walking around the stones, I began to picture myself in the footsteps of people centuries ago. How crazy it must have been to see! These stones are MASSIVE. No picture can do it justice. How much work and labor must have been put in to build this amazes me. There’s one theory that believes these stones were moved to Stonehenge from a place more than 50 miles away! Picturing them moving these stones all that way left me speechless. With no advanced technology, moving all of those stones would have been an extremely strenuous task. 
    Stonehenge was something I had wanted to see for years. Still as I write this blog, I stand in awe of the magnificence and mysteriousness of Stonehenge. My heart races for the day that we finally find out the true story behind the stones! Was it aliens? Was it people? Was this a place for celebration or grieving and remembrance? Until then, the mystery remains.
    Seeing Stonehenge was only a small part of our travels around England. Traveling to England made me realize that my life isn’t meant to be lived in one place. This was my first time out of the country and it’s safe to say it won’t be my last. Traveling is like an addiction, once you start it’s almost impossible to stop. This was the beginning of a lifetime of traveling. Now, where to go next?



No comments:

Post a Comment