Tuesday, May 21, 2013

University of Memphis State Formation & National Identity, I am sharing a brief overview of my experience thus far.

Since my trip to London, I have had a blast. My first day here, which was Thursday, May 15, I encountered an issue with baggage claim. The arrival of my luggage was delayed, so I spent the first night without all of my belongings. Fortunately, the airline was able to rush my luggage from Atlanta Airport where it was delayed to London's Heathrow Airport. Though it was a bit disturbing, it was much of an inconvenience. Thanks to the faculty members who are leading us, packing tips including what to bring in my carryon helped out a lot. Our first day out in the city, we enjoyed a tour of some of London's most beautiful sites. Though traffic was a bit congested, our tour took place nicely on a two-story tour bus. In fact, this was the coolest bus I had ever seen. The top has no ceilings, so we were able to ride in the wind. Friday, we were engaged in an informational lecture from Dr. Adrian Naseemullah of the London School of Economics and Political Science, where we were able to discuss variable state formation and its consequences. Later during the day was the tour of the Tower of London. I must say, this is a historic fortress in London, England which was originally a royal palace, later a prison, now an arsenal and museum.

Westminster seemed to be the most sacred of all. Filled with shrines, tombs, and other memorials, Westminster Abbey is another masterpiece. This church includes a beautiful scene of the coronations of almost all English monarchs since William I. However, during our next tour, which was fortunately of the Houses or Parliament, we saw where the current monarch sits during some sessions. The Houses of Parliament are made up of two houses, the House of Commons and the House of Lords, each playing a critical role legislatively, judicially, and ultimately executively. Sunday, May 19, was a free day to explore London on our own. I decided to tour the British Museum as it contains some of the most ancient artifacts of all times including those from Egypt, Greece, and other historical precedents. 

These are only some of my experiences during most of my first week here in London. Germany is next!      

Tony Mitchell, Jr.
University of Memphis
Study Abroad Program 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment